Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Why You Didn't Get a Post in August

Dear Readers,

Yeah...sorry about that. BUT! There was a reason behind it - a reason that actually warrants an entire post. Hence this.

In the late summer of 2008, my freshman year of college, I made a decision to do something that would change my life. Not markedly, but to an extent that I'm still affected by it today. Probably about a year prior, I listened to an audio book by a popular LDS youth speaker, John Bytheway, called "Turn Off the TV and Get A Life!". To summarize, the book essentially talked about the effect that various types of media have on us, and how often we can overuse it to "tune out" to the things that are really important. Obviously, it took a spiritual stance on this position, but the concept itself coincided really well with my own beliefs and observations about technology and the effect it had on myself and the people around me (and mind you, people, as far as I remember, smartphones hadn't even been invented at this time, and Facebook was still pretty new). In the audio book, Bytheway makes a suggestion to "take a week off" from television, video games, etc. and simply enjoy the things that are really important. Because this was something I was committed to, and felt passionate about, I decided to take him up on this challenge - for a month.

Seriously. I decided that in the month of August, I wouldn't spend any time on Facebook or Blogspot, wouldn't watch any movies or TV shows, wouldn't play any video games, or involve myself any of their electronic relatives (with the exception of necessary phone usage and music - I gotta have my music).

And you know what? It was great! That's not to say it wasn't hard - it was. Honestly, it was more awkward than anything. For a month, I became "that kid" that friends and family alike complained about: that I couldn't watch the newest movie; that I wouldn't ever talk to them on Facebook; that I seemed so out of touch with what was going on in the world; etc, etc.. That was kind of uncomfortable. But I realized at the same time how many things I'd missed out on simply because I had my attention so focused on all this "stuff" - like being able to have deep conversations with friends or being able to notice when they need a little pick-me-up. I grew to realize how amazing and beautiful the nature around me was (and I wasn't even in Logan back then). I caught myself thinking more creatively, imagining things that were completely original, rather than being concerned about missing something someone had posted, the latest YouTube video, or what an incredible plot "The Dark Knight" had. I felt like I was more myself instead of a product of what I consumed

This year was the 7th year (even though I don't know if I can count the two years I was on a mission) I've held myself to this challenge. I've made edits, additions and exceptions (like friends' birthdays) to my rule.Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, Imgur, Smartphones, Snapchat, Instagram, Tumblr, Vines, Netflix, Spotify, Buzzfeed, Reddit, and I don't know how many other programs have gained notoriety that I had to account for. If you don't believe me, just look at the magnitude of all the sites I just tagged. Add this this to the fact that people's immersion in these programs seems to increase at the same rate society pumps 'em out, well - let's just say that August has an ever-increasing potential to be a very isolated month for me.

But I keep doing it after seven years. Why?

Well, not to bash on the people that really love their technology, but if I had been so immersed, I may not have been able to fully enjoy (and I mean really enjoy) this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Now, I'm not saying you have to do the same thing I did - it's a choice I decided to make, and I'll give you the same luxury. And I'm not saying that I'm completely against technology, either - I wouldn't do this more than a month a year. It is important to live and involve yourself in the reality that is society. It's another to be a product of it. It makes me think of an article I read in my junior year from Newsweek talking about the potential dangers of technology. But in the end, it's a decision I opted to make that's changed my life - so at least think about it, okay?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Michael, I love this post! Makes me want to try it out. Might be difficult with writing papers and looking up research articles, but when I get a break in school I'm definitely going to try this out! :)
-Alyse Ottoson