Saturday, April 7, 2012

Happiness

I have a great new job-and by new, I mean I have been working there three months. Ha.
The people there are interesting. I don't have bad coworkers by any means, but it's just very interesting the   subject matter they focus on. Like any normal employee, they talk about work at work, but it's when we go on lunch break that the subjects get interesting. When I listen to them, it only makes me realize how much different I am than they.

The first focus is usually sports-this isn't actually all that unusual or interesting, it's guy talk-I just happen not to be interested in that. We'll skip over this topic, as it's more something that just doesn't interest me.

They also talk about business-this is the one that interests me. It seems as if when they are away from work, all their focus is about the newest Apple product they would like to buy, the hottest new car off the market, the latest app they have decided to design, an amazing business scheme that would make them oodles of money, etc. I find this particularly interesting simply because my own interests are so much different that theirs are. The biggest focus of their time is spent on something that, though interesting to them, does nothing for me. Though I think it would be mildly interesting to spend time trying my hand at things like this, it's not at all what I am truly interested in-and in a way, this job has helped me a lot in realizing what I really want to do in life by knowing precisely what I do not want to do.

Do you ever stop and think about the kind of people you most enjoy spending time with? Usually they are people that have the same interests as you do. I admire those people that have the ability to make deals, to build a house, to play sports, to manage a business, or whatever others skills people have. But in the end, that really doesn't interest me. I realize the people that I most enjoy spending time with are those that think, those that dream, and those that feel. As I work at this job, I realize that I could have the highest paying job in the world, in the richest place, with anything I wanted, and I would be miserable.

Personally, I couldn't care less if I never lived in a mansion, if I never traveled out of the country again, if I never met any famous person in my life, if I was never considered famous, or anything of the sort. I've realized, more than anything, the thing that makes me happy is seeing other people happy-and I want to make that a principal part of my life. I've never been happier than when I am helping other people, and that's the thing that I most want to do in life.

The things that matter most to me are not if I have the latest Smartphone, have the fanciest car to drive around (or even if I have a car), have the best job, the best clothes, the best body, or the best skills. I don't care if I am not wealthy, live in the country, am balding, or am not the next contestant on America's Got Talent. What matters to me are the things that really last-the things that I will take with me after this life. The things that matter most are good family relationships, friends that lift me up, choices that help me to be the best I can be, and all the other little things in life. Smiling, dancing in the rain, hiking, spending time alone with myself and God, and serving others is what matters most. What I most want is to help other people realize this-to realize that true happiness is what comes from within us, not from what is around us. 

I choose to major in Psychology. I choose to be a counselor-to help families, marriages, and those who are recovering from addictions. I choose to help people realize what true happiness means. I choose to lead people to God.

This is why.

No comments: